Thursday, April 9, 2009

Tragedy times three

^
Do you know the name Henry Nigel Pearson? How about Courtney Frances Stewart?

Well, they were the "two others" in the AP story that began: "Los Angeles Angels pitcher Nick Adenhart and two others were killed by a suspected drunk driver Thursday, a shocking end to the life of a rookie who had overcome major elbow surgery to realize his big league dreams."

Not until the 14th paragraph were Pearson and Stewart mentioned by name.

This is not meant as a condemnation of the AP, a company I proudly served for nearly 16 years. Nor is it meant as a condemnation of our hero-worshipping, fame-obsessed society. Had I still been working for AP, I would have written the story the same way.

This simply is a reminder that the tragedy wasn't limited to one victim, even if one victim was all anybody talked about all day.

I feel terrible for the family of Nick Adenhart, by all accounts a fine 22-year-old man. I have a 22-year-old child myself and I only can imagine the unspeakable sorrow felt by Nick's loved ones and the profound sadness experienced by Nick's teammates.

Henry Nigel Pearson and Courtney Frances Stewart also had families and dear friends. The deaths of these young people were no less horrible, no less tragic, no less a waste. 

Maybe Henry and Courtney didn't have the same kind of big league dreams their friend Nick had, but they surely had dreams of what they could become someday.

3 comments:

  1. I knew Courtney, she went to my school. We were not friends but we had a lot of the same friends. She will me missed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow oh bald one when you kick emotional bootie you use both feet...what was it chris tucker said in the fifth element ...you hot you hot you sizzzzzle..

    sorry for the losses of everyone who knew them and may the drunk driver rot in...well

    ReplyDelete
  3. This means a lot to me - I went to high school with Henry and didn't know that it was he who was in the car with Adenhart until a day after the accident took place... it was very nice of you to acknowledge him.

    ReplyDelete