Monday, June 1, 2009

Chillin' with the missus, rippin' LeBron The Loser and diggin' Dwight

^
The Bald Truth

Hopefully, a few readers noticed that I hadn't posted for a few days.

For those who are worried sick about me, no need. I didn't accidentally watch 5 seconds of Around the Horn, lose my mind and get hauled away to the funny farm.

No, it's just that my wife is taking a little vacation time and we've been chillin' together.

Really, though ... instead of taking time off from the one job she has, shouldn't she be working a second job so she can support my golf habit?

Jeesh, some people are so selfish.

Anyway, after I'm done with this post, I will be back in a day or three, so keep checking. As always, I appreciate everyone's loyalty.

The Quote

"It’s not being a poor sport or anything like that." - LeBron James, a day after refusing to shake hands with Dwight Howard and the rest of the Orlando Magic.

Well yes, Bron-Bron, it is being a poor sport.

And a jerk.

And a clown.

And a sore loser.

And a self-serving douchebag.

And I could go on ... but do I really need to?

I just wonder what LeBron would have said had Howard done the same to him.

The Balder Truth

Loved that the NHL played Games 1 and 2 of the Stanley Cup Finals on consecutive nights in Detroit. It's a reminder of the good old days when every league didn't feel compelled to drag out every postseason series for weeks on end.

Not sure the Penguins were as happy about it, though I'm guessing the Red Wings would be up 2-0 even if the league had waited until September for Game 2.

The Question

Is it just me or has David Ortiz gone from age 33 to age 48 in the span of two months?

THE BALDEST TRUTH

Some media mopes actually are criticizing Dwight Howard for only being able to dunk on the offensive end.

These are probably the same idiots who said as much about Shaq 15 years and four NBA championships ago.

Look, if Howard is "only" able to dunk 10, 15, 20 times in a game, that's a good thing. Besides, he does help the Magic on offense even if he's not dunking. To name three ways: He's a great offensive rebounder; he helps Orlando's many fine outside shooters by drawing the defense to him; and he gets the opposing center in foul trouble.

It would be cool to see Howard win the NBA title because he has the right attitude: Play as hard as he can and as well as he can every minute he's on the court but otherwise realize that it is just a game. I can't remember any recent pro basketball player enjoying the game more. Such perspective is sorely lacking (see: James, LeBron).

Even though Howard and a few of other Magicals will create matchup problems for the Lakers, however, I can't pick Orlando to win this series.

The Lakers have too much experience, too much good coaching, too much talent, too much skill coming off the bench and, especially, too much Kobe Bryant.

Way, way, way too much Jack Nicholson, as well, but I won't hold that against them.

Lakers in 6.

1 comment: