Sunday, July 26, 2009

Pine Meadow: Dubsdread's more affordable (and better?) sibling

^
Just got done playing one of my favorite golf courses ... not just in the Chicago area but anywhere golf is played: Pine Meadow Golf Club in north suburban Mundelein. 

Like the famed Cog Hill, this is a Jemsek operation, which means it is in impeccable condition, it is a great test of golf (but extremely fair) and it is strikingly beautiful. 

Many, many people who play Pine Meadow believe it is more attractive, more fun to play and far more affordable than Cog Hill Dubsdread - and as much as I love Dubs, I won't argue. (There certainly is no argument about the affordability - it is about half the price of Cog #4.)

Each hole at Pine Meadow is unique and each is an entity unto itself. There are no houses lining the fairways. The clubhouse isn't fancy. This is a golf club - a public golf club - not a country club. It is all about tremendous, picturesque, enjoyable golf.

Oh, and walkable, too - arguably the nicest, truly walkable golf course I've ever played. If your health allows you do to so, skip the cart, save a few bucks, get a little exercise and play this track the way the game is meant to be played.

As you can see, I can't say enough good things about this place, and I've yet to take anybody there who doesn't love it. 

This was the first time I had played Pine Meadow in more than four years - and now that I'm done, I'm mad at myself for waiting so long. I know it won't be four more years before my next appearance.

No comments:

Post a Comment