Friday, February 4, 2011

Liked Packers 6 months ago, no reason to switch now

This is one of the easiest Super Bowl predictions I've made over the years, and not because I expect the game to be one-sided.

I'm just stickin' with the team I liked from Day 1.

Before the season, I thought the Packers had the goods to win it all. Outstanding defense, great receivers, good O-line and the best QB nobody ever put in the same sentence as Brady and Manning (or Favre, for that matter).

The injuries piled up and, I admit, I started to doubt. Late in the season, though, the Packers pulled things together, got sound play from those who replaced their many injured players, found just enough of a running game to provide some balance and won the games they had to win down the stretch.

Going into the playoffs, I said they might just run the table. And now, I see no reason to believe they won't make it 4 for 4.

Aaron Rodgers will outplay Ben Roethlisberger -- no easy feat, given that Bad Boy Ben is a two-time Super champ -- and the Green Bay D will outperform its Pittsburgh counterpart.

In this era of big-market teams dominating MLB (and, to an extent, the NBA and NHL), it's cool to see a club from BY FAR the smallest market in big-league sports play on the biggest stage of them all.

The Packers are easy to root for. And for me, they're easy to pick, too.

Packers 23, Steelers 20.

1 comment:

  1. given the defenses do you really think the scoring will be that high...i think it could be one of those low scoring boring games...i mean boring to the average watcher..