Friday, February 4, 2011

Liked Packers 6 months ago, no reason to switch now

^
This is one of the easiest Super Bowl predictions I've made over the years, and not because I expect the game to be one-sided.

I'm just stickin' with the team I liked from Day 1.

Before the season, I thought the Packers had the goods to win it all. Outstanding defense, great receivers, good O-line and the best QB nobody ever put in the same sentence as Brady and Manning (or Favre, for that matter).

The injuries piled up and, I admit, I started to doubt. Late in the season, though, the Packers pulled things together, got sound play from those who replaced their many injured players, found just enough of a running game to provide some balance and won the games they had to win down the stretch.

Going into the playoffs, I said they might just run the table. And now, I see no reason to believe they won't make it 4 for 4.

Aaron Rodgers will outplay Ben Roethlisberger -- no easy feat, given that Bad Boy Ben is a two-time Super champ -- and the Green Bay D will outperform its Pittsburgh counterpart.

In this era of big-market teams dominating MLB (and, to an extent, the NBA and NHL), it's cool to see a club from BY FAR the smallest market in big-league sports play on the biggest stage of them all.

The Packers are easy to root for. And for me, they're easy to pick, too.

Packers 23, Steelers 20.
^

1 comment:

  1. given the defenses do you really think the scoring will be that high...i think it could be one of those low scoring boring games...i mean boring to the average watcher..

    ReplyDelete