Wednesday, January 25, 2012

From Motown, a princely sum

^
The Yankees weren't interested. Neither were the Red Sox or Phillies. They already had their big-money first basemen.

The Angels? Not unless they decided to trade Albert Pujols.

The Mets and Dodgers have financial woes that make our national debt look palatable.

Cubbies boss Tom Ricketts, still choking down the Alfonso Soriano mega-contract he inherited from the previous regime (and paying Cra-Z Zambrano nearly $18 million to not pitch in Chicago this season), had no appetite for another gargantuan deal.

The Rangers, Giants, White Sox and suddenly spend-a-riffic Marlins were all tapped out.

Yes, as consistently good as he has been, Prince Fielder entered free agency with few legitimate suitors.

And yet there he was Tuesday, celebrating the nine-year, $214 million contract he got from a Detroit team that seemed to have already cornered the market on first basemen who should be DHs.

One thing for sure:

When I make my big comeback, I'm hiring Scott Boras as my agent!
^

3 comments:

  1. i hope you do come back...be good to see you back in grimey old newsprint...

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, I meant when I make my comeback as a professional athlete. You should have seen me play foosball!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, and I forgot: Scrabble.

    My best sport by far.

    ReplyDelete