Thursday, June 24, 2010

Hey, didn't the White Sox used to suck?

^
All right ... who stole the 2010 White Sox and replaced them with the '05 model?

I just spent three straight days at The Cell, and I have to admit that I came away incredibly impressed with the home team.

White Sox starters are pitching superbly - the reason I and others thought they'd contend in the first place. Ozzie's wizards also are coming up with timely hits, making plays in the field and simply doing things right. The Braves, the latest Sox sweepees, came into town as the hottest club in baseball - and the White Sox made them look bad.

As I wrapped up my story for AP on Thursday - READ IT - I realized I won't see the White Sox again until the last week of July. I am going out of town this weekend and will miss the Cubs series, and I'm working on other things during the only week they are home in the period immediately before and after the All-Star break.

They have cut a 9 1/2 game deficit to 2 1/2 in the blink of an eye, so it will be interesting to see where they stand the next time I step foot in The Cell.

During the bad times, Ozzie Guillen did exactly what a good manager must: keep his team believing and playing hard. Now it will be interesting to see how he and his lads handle prosperity.

1 comment:

  1. tmad here. My nerves can't take this. I'm starting to feel...dare I say it... hopeful!

    ReplyDelete