Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Trying to stay sane ... one MLS listing at a time

^
My tummy is jumpy. My head and neck ache from the stress. I'm not sleeping very well. My attention wanes. The cause of these maladies?

Househunting Madness.

Mrs. N and I have ramped up our search for our next home - and our first in the Carolinas. It's been more than six years since we last shopped for a home, and things have changed dramatically.

The good part is that it really is a buyer's market out there. Inventory is huge. Prices are down. The Internet provides an avenue for endless research.

Which all adds up to the bad part: Too many houses out there, too many nice areas from which to choose, too much information.

I now find myself obsessing about finding the perfect house in the perfect location for the perfect price. The practical side of me knows that doesn't exist, but it's very difficult to be practical.

We are in the fortunate position of not having a house to sell. We have some cash to invest. And we have sellers begging for our business. It should be all good. And yet ...

I worry all the time about blowing my one chance to buy the right place at the right time. I mean, who knows what the market's going to be like the next time we're in this position? If we're ever in this position again, that is.

It's madness. Madness, I tell you!

Guess I just have to take two (more) Aleve and call my realtor in the morning.
^

3 comments:

  1. Perfect is the enemy of good. Or to put it another way:

    Worrying about blowing it = playing not to lose

    Making the best choice with the information available = playing to win

    See? It always comes back to sports. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Way to help me keep things in perspective, Drew!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello,

    MLS, is a tool used by realtors around the country to input data about properties for sale and exchange information with cooperating competitors. The MLS system provides a wealth of information and knowledge to realtors and consumers alike by showing details like square footage, items included with the sale of a property and property improvements.

    ReplyDelete