Wednesday, April 14, 2010

End of an era?

^
It hit me as I was standing among my fellow media mopes before Tuesday night's Bulls-Celtics game: This might be the last time I ever step foot in the United Center.

Even now, many hours later, writing that sentence seems strange.

I covered a couple dozen Bulls and Blackhawks games for AP and other outlets this season. I won't be doing any playoff games, as I'm more needed at Chicago's ballparks. And by the time next season rolls around, I have no idea what I'll be doing or where I'll be doing it.

My wife and I are talking about relocating to another city if the right opportunity presents itself for one or both of us. Even if I still am in Chicago, I might be doing something else with my life by the time next fall rolls around.

I mean, I've already had so many offers to be a male model, I can't keep turning them down, right?

No matter what, I sure won't be buying tickets for events at the U.C. Not only would I have to be employed, I'd need two jobs - two good jobs! - to afford those ticket prices.

So maybe Tuesday night (when I was freelancing for the suburban Northwest Herald) marked the end of a personal era.

If so, it's been a pretty fun ride. This airplane-hangar of a place lacks the charm and intimacy of the old Stadium. It lacks the history, too. Still ...

I covered the Bulls' second threepeat, writing about Michael Jordan so often that his name would appear on the screen of my laptop as soon as I turned it on. (Just kidding - but that would have been a neat trick, huh?) I've also covered more than a few big moments for the Blackhawks since arriving in Chicago in 1994.

Then again, I mostly witnessed godawful basketball and hockey.

I'll never forget Bill Wennington promising the first post-Jordan crowd that the Bulls might not win much but that they'd never stop hustling. He then didn't move an inch as he lost the opening tip - the perfect coming attraction for the joke Bulls basketball would become.

As for the Hawks, they've come back nicely to be contenders again. It only took them a dozen years. Alpo Suhonen, we hardly knew ye! It got so bad that I rarely bothered writing about them for most of that time. My mom (like yours, probably) always said: "If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all."

OK, I've waxed nostalgic long enough. Here's to new horizons.

3 comments:

  1. tmad here. All the cliches come to mind: Don't let the bastards get you down. Bleep 'em if they can't take a joke. You'll be missed if you leave these parts, but do what's best for you and yours.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i have always wanedt to say that i waxed anything but my car...way to go dude..and blogs can be written from anywhere...you know that...and what i call "managerisms" occur in every city in the country...keep us up to date and best of luck

    ReplyDelete
  3. Life moves in sometime surprising ways with many new adventures. Thanks for taking us along for the ride. And no matter where it all leads, your loyal readers will follow the new adventures as you see fit to post. Maybe you should turn this all into a book?

    ReplyDelete